Winner, Winner, Time for Dinner
Troy is a self-proclaimed “foodie” — no surprise there. He was also one of 25 lucky recipients of our Sunterra Market mystery box giveaway, and eventually, the Grand Prize Winner of our first-ever Great Indoors Food Challenge.
Within an hour of receiving his Sunterra Market mystery box, he decided how he would engineer this fantastic dish: “A good meal or dish has to touch on several points to be fantastic. To me, flavour and texture are equally important in achieving this. This is why I placed the souffle on a potato croquette, the soft fluffy texture paired with a crunch works perfectly. However, all of that richness needs some punch and therefore the acidity and sweetness of the tomato corn relish helps to balance it out.”
Troy has always liked food, but his passion for cooking started about 10 years ago. He uses his background in science to help with balancing flavours, noting: “Many meats pair very well with fruits and nuts, but pork probably does it the best. A grill peach coulis really provides a nice base for the grilled pork collar and the touch of amaretto give(s) that nutty undertone to tie it all together.”
Many of the dishes he makes are recreations of food he’s had but are often re-done to suit his own preferences. Troy also likes to cook with produce sourced from his very own garden and to explore cultures from around the world through their cuisine.
“I enjoy cooking much more than baking as baking has to be exact and (with) cooking you get to experiment and adjust as you go to really make something new or exciting with very similar ingredients. This competition showcased that very thing – 25 contestants received the same ingredients but produced 25 different dishes!!”
Read below to discover his prize-winning recipe.
The Winning Recipe
- 1 portion of Sunterra Farms pork collar
- Spice blend of thyme, rosemary, sage, black pepper, garlic, kosher salt, lemon peel, and coriander
- 4 tbsp freshly-grated Sylvan Star Grizzly Gouda
- 1 1/4 cups cream
- Aromatics: 1 bay leaf, several thyme sprigs, 2 thin shallot slices
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3/4 tsp salt and freshly-milled pepper
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 6 egg whites
- Several plump thyme sprigs, leaves only
Corn and Tomato “Relish”
- Approximately 2 cups of grape tomatoes
- 1 cob of corn
- Salt, pepper, chile flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 large potatoes
- 2 fresh scallions
- Roasted garlic cloves
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup cream
- 2 egg yolks leftover from making soufflé
- Two croissants cut into pieces, toasted and processed to make bread crumbs
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 2 whole eggs for egg wash
- Canola oil for frying
- Shaved Grizzly Gouda for garnish
Grilled Peach Amaretto Coulis
- 1 peach
- 1 tbsp amaretto
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 large kale leaves
- Olive oil
Grilled Eggplant Rosette
- 1 eggplant
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Your favourite blend of roasting spices, such as brown mustard, sea salt, white pepper, nutmeg, allspice, rosemary, thyme, dill seeds, celery seeds, red bell pepper, onion, garlic, coriander
- Season pork collar evenly with the spice blend
- Grill on high heat on one side for approximately 6 minutes before flipping. Grill until internal temperature reaches approximately 140F
- Salt with large sea salt flakes and let rest as the residual heat should carry over to reach the required 145F. Slice into 4 slices for plating
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Butter 6 ramekins and coat them with the grated Grizzly Gouda
- Heat the cream with the aromatics until it boils, then set aside to steep for 15 minutes
- Strain the steeped cream
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, and when foamy stir in the flour and cook over low heat for several minutes
- Whisk in the cream vigorously for approximately 1 minute to thicken, then add salt and a few twists of pepper
- Remove from heat
- Beat in egg yolks, one at a time, until well-blended, then stir in the goat cheese
- Beat in the egg whites until they form firm peaks, then fold in 1/4 of the egg whites into the cream base to lighten the mixture
- Fold in the remaining egg whites, then transfer to the ramekins
- Place ramekins in a large baking dish and fill with boiling water up to 3/4 of the height of the ramekins, then put in the center of the oven and lower the heat to 375F
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden and just a bit wobbly in the center
- Garnish with tomato and corn relish and fresh thyme sprigs
Corn and Tomato “Relish”
- Slice tomatoes into quarters
- Season tomatoes with salt and set aside
- Grill the corn until slightly charred then slice kernels from the cob
- Drain liquid from salted tomatoes and then combine with corn, olive oil, and maple syrup
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and chile flakes
- Boil potatoes with skin on until tender; skins should easily slide off after boiling
- Using a potato ricer, process the two potatoes
- Combine scallions, garlic, salt, butter, cream, and egg yolks
- Spread out mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Place in the freezer to cool
- Once potatoes are firm and cold, cut out circles slightly larger than the souffle ramekin
- Place potato “wheels” into flour, then into the egg wash, followed by the croissant bread crumbs
- Fry in canola oil until golden brown
- Lightly salt croquette and garnish with shaved gouda
Grilled Peach Amaretto Coulis
- Place peaches, skin on, on a hot grill for about 8 minutes or until thoroughly cooked
- After thoroughly cooked, remove skin, slice, and sauté peaches with butter, honey, water, and amaretto for about 3 minutes (or until water has been reduced by about ½)
- Place mixture into food processor and pureé
- Cut kale leaves into portions, removing any large stems
- Evenly coat kale leaves in olive oil, place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and bake at 350F for about 10 minutes or until “crispy”. Ensure they don’t turn brown as they will taste burnt
- Remove from oven and lightly salt
Grilled Eggplant Rosette
- Slice eggplant lengthwise in ¼” slices, then drizzle with olive oil and season well
- Let sit for at least 20 minutes
- Grill until tender (about 3 minutes per side) and let rest
- Starting with a larger slice, roll into itself and then wrap with another slice creating a rosette
- Drizzle with balsamic reduction and garnish with a crispy kale chip
Sunterra Farms Pork Collar
Corn and Tomato “Relish”
Explore Our Blog
A Breath of Fresh Air
Here at Bower Place, we strive to give you the best of The Great Indoors. However, the. . .
New Year’s Eve In
I cannot believe 2021 is almost upon us, and New Year's Eve is only a few days away. What. . .
A Wicked Story
Our friends at Wicked Alternative Body Fashion have a great story to tell, starting 14 years. . .
I Gift My Best
Christmas is only a few short days away! *Alarm/Sleigh Bells* Some of us are busy or. . .
Bake on, Baker
Maybe you’re the one who shows up to every dinner with a freshly baked pie. (If so, let’s. . .
Top Ten Skin Tamers
If you’re like me, you’ve had skincare concerns most of your life. It can be a long. . .
Less is More
I’m definitely a less is more kind of person (except when it comes to guacamole, cheese,. . .
Bower Elf’s Shopping Day
I’m here to share with you, a Holiday shopping adventure, with a delicious lunch too!. . .
Festival of Trees
Bower Place welcomed the beloved Festival of Trees this year on November 14 in a different. . .
Here is a little hint of just a fraction of what is to come this Sunday, November 15th for. . .
Grab Your Gal Pals
Girl’s Night In is about more than crafting a perfectly rustic chic wreath or learning. . .
“Falling” for you
The season of pumpkin spice, crunchy leaves, corn mazes, and fabulous fashion is upon us. But. . .
As we start the 2020-2021 school year, it's important to find ways to make our lives easier. . .
Pretty MADE Things
Pretty MADE Things is a locally owned business, new to Red Deer and to Bower Place. This. . .
The B Nest Studios
The B Nest Studios is now open in Bower Place. In support of the Central Alberta Child. . .
Stage 2 Re-Open PlanRead more
Let’s Give Them Something to Taco Bout
We love tacos any day of the week, but Taco Tuesday just hits different!
Embrace Event hosted by our very own retailers, Calyx, Saje and Lululemon
Ugly is the new Fabulous
'Tis the season for the Ugly Christmas Sweater
Extra Marshmallows, Please!
A Warm and Cozy Cup
The Gift of Whatever They Want
We all have that one friend or family member who is IMPOSSIBLE to buy for
Santa’s Arrival Aboard The Bower Place Express!
Grab your train ticket and your conductor hat, because it's time to join the Bower Place. . .
The Great Indoors Market!
You won't want to miss all this spectacular shopping!
Slightly Obsessed with Denim
What's trending in all things denim!
Tones Of The Season – Aspen Gold ✨
This spicy shade is a slightly deeper yellow with just a hint of orange; it is bright and. . .
Sunglasses are the staple spring and summer accessory - with shapes, sizes and colours to. . .
The Nose Knows
With feelings of romance and classic Hollywood aesthetics, perfume is a staple on every. . .
Have You Ever Been to Earth?
Since we are all inhabitants of this lovely planet, I think it’s necessary to recognize. . .
Hip, Hop, Hurray!
Bunnies Make the Best Chocolate!
Turn your office space from drab to fab!
Stepping Into Spring
Goodbye winter boots, hello summer shoes!
Fresh, New You!
Check out the most fabulous hair trends for Spring 2019!
Red Deer is filled with fun activities for the whole family during these frosty months.. . .
Winter Skin Blues
Products your skin will love during these endless winter months.
Spread the Love
Happy Valentine's Day!
What’s the 411 on the ’90s?
The '90s are back and better than ever!
Morgan on the Move
Morgan Whitbread is not just a pretty face. Read more about this girl on the go.
Calvin Klein, a classic brand with lots to say.
The Great Indoors Market
Shop our locally owned businesses for unique gifts and treats!
Show Your Roots
Classic styles for everyone at Roots.
Winter Is Coming
From fashionable to functionable, there is a winter coat out there for you!
Cool Weather Ahead
‘Tis the season for layers, and multi-purpose clothing!
Wish You Were Here
Time to get Vacation Ready!
Too Much Lipstick? Never.
Happy National Lipstick Day!
Buckle-Up, Let’s Go!
Westerner Days Are Here!
A Tea for Every Tastebud
There is literally a tea for every occasion: hot, iced, sweet, smooth, rich . . . so many. . .
Things Are About To Get Sticky!
It’s that time of year again where we host the annual Bower Place Pancake Breakfast!
Oh, They Say When You Marry in June . . .
There’s nothing I love more than a wedding. Be it a small, intimate gathering of friends. . .
Take a Hike, Dad
When it comes to these holiday’s, Father’s Day included, I always try and find something. . .
Pass The Potatoes!
I don’t know about you, but "home cooking" is not my forte.
A Coffee For Every Occasion
Hi, my name is Megan and I’m addicted to Starbucks.
The Great Hat Hunt
For him, hats are a staple fashion accessory . . . He will always have the final say on. . .
The first long weekend of the summer us upon us in Central Alberta and it couldn’t have. . .
What better way to reward yourself after a long week of work than with delicious cheese. . .
Blue Jean Blues
Over the years, I have developed some tricks for myself (and my fellow tall people) for. . .
Young at Heart
We’ve all lived in Alberta long enough to know that a glimpse of sunshine in March is. . .
My Happy Hunting Grounds
I can still hear him yelling “STAY ON YOUR OWN TRAIL, STOP STEALING YOUR SISTERS EGGS”. . .
Stand Tall, Stand Out
Embrace your love/hate relationship with fashion
Smile lots, make funny faces, and just own it (don’t be afraid to go #nofilter)!
Motivating The Dead of Winter
Stepping into their brand new store is like stepping into a nordic spa oasis . . . I could. . .
Burst Your Bubble
I deserve a spa like experience where I can melt my troubles away surrounded by frothy bubbles!. . .
What’s For Dinner
Bet you haven’t heard that one before! Never fear, foodie friends . . . we’ve got you. . .
A Little Embellishment
Checking out some of my fave embellished things at Spring! No word of a lie . . . these. . .
Diffuse The Situation
I don’t know about you, but this weather is making my skin downright reptilian.
With #selfcaresunday becoming more and more of a thing (for good reason!), I’m sharing. . .
The verdict is in . . . Ultra Violet (aka Pantone 18-3838) has been deemed the colour of. . .
Fast (Fashion) Forward
It’s about that time of year when I start to get itchy. And by “itchy” I mean, despite. . .
Melissa Loves Chachi’s
Have I found my kindred foodie spirits or what?
Chin Up Vs. Fork Up
Here we are again, the dreaded season of internal conflict.
I am absolutely, unapologetically a fair weather girl! Unfortunately, I don’t have a fabulous. . .
Thai One On
I find home cooks usually fall into one of two categories . . . people who follow the recipe. . .
Did someone say, tacos?! If so, count me in whether it’s “Taco Tuesday” or not and. . .